Saturday, December 24, 2011

Holiday Tribal Reunions

I'm smiling ... more so than usual.  My newly two year old son is laughing and playing with his older sister and brother. He manages to look at me with an expression on his face saying, "This is friggin great!". Lately, he's been getting lots of quality time with his siblings, cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles, family friends ... people he doesn't see enough on a regular basis.  He hasn't figured it out yet, but he understands in his subconscious (or perhaps in his soul) that the magic of this time of year is all about the tribe.  

It's reunion time again, finally. It's that special time of year when we reconnect with our tribes, our family, people with whom we share ancestry, bloodlines, genetics, perspectives.  It runs deep.  Hunter acts very differently around family (and family friends).  He warms up quickly.  He beams in their presence.  We all seem more at home and at peace in each other's company, even as we're driving each other crazy.

Historically, traditionally, extended families lived together or in close proximity to each other.  Perhaps something has been lost by our self-imposed division of extended family.  Technology has only assisted in exacerbating our isolation.  Sure, I can text my sister, call my mom, check my cousin's facebook status, read my friend's latest blogpost, in minutes, with the mere touch of a finger, but I'd rather give each one of them a hug, I'd rather see their facial expressions as we talk and laugh.

I'm glad that I can enjoy lots of laughing, talking and hugging with my tribes this time of year.  I need to consciously parlay this into a more regular thing for us.

Humans need tribes.  We evolved that way and our physiologies (and perhaps our souls) crave this form of interconnectedness and interdependence.  

Happy Holiday Tribal Reunions!

No comments:

Post a Comment